Thursday, December 2, 2010

Cheesy Baked Shells and Broccoli

3/4 pound medium pasta shells (about 5 cups)
1 TBSP butter
2 TBSP all purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 16 oz bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed.
   (I use fresh broccoli and parboil it)
 
Cook pasta according to directions.
Heat butter in large pot over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 4-5 minutes.
Add 1 1/2 cups of cheese and stir til melted. Stir in the nutmeg, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper.
 
Add pasta & broccoli, toss to combine, Transfer to broiler-proof 8-inch square or another 1 1/2 qt. baking dish. Sprinkle w/ remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Broil til golden, 3-4 minutes.
 
Note: I don't usually broil this dish, but it does look nice. I just bake it in the oven.