This morning at 6:50 AM, I walked out my front door and all of a sudden there was a bird flying all over in the breezeway on the second floor. It was flying into walls and trying to fly into the light bulb and finally it hit the wall and fell to the stairs. It was on the 6th step from the bottom on a 3 foot wide staircase, right in the middle of the step. I didn't know if it was dead or alive, but I wasn't going to walk by it. It was about 8 inches long, so it wasn't just something small.
I had no idea what to do and neither did anyone else. It was still dark out and I was ready to get to work but couldn't go. I didn't know what that bird was going to do. It would either freak out again or just stay put and get stepped on... I had no idea. I kept checking to see if it was dead of alive and I saw it's head moving. I thought about getting a broom, but I didn't have a broom and you can't just sweep an 8 inch bird down some stairs. Then I thought about putting on my yellow dish gloves and grabbing it, but that idea quickly left as I wasn't going near it. I thought about tossing something small and light at it to make it fly away, but if I was injured on a step, I wouldn't want to have things tossed at me, so that wasn't going to work. I thought about calling maintenance, but it wasn't during business hours and I really doubt they would know what to do in a nice way. I heard some people that lived below me talking and walking outside so I thought that would scare the bird away, but it didn't move.
Well after about an hour I got the box that my new vacuum came in and carried it out in front of me and just started to walk down the stairs. When I got about 4 steps away from it, it flew away! That was the best thing that could have happened.