Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Camp Trip

A few months ago I made camping reservations out at Rockport State Park for May 21-23. We haven't got to camp much so I wanted to give it to Nick for an anniversary present, and we just needed to get-a-way. The days leading up to the camp trip showed cold and rainy weather. Oh great, I thought. All I wanted to do was lay out next to the lake in the warm sun.

We got out of town around 6:30PM. Heading up Parley's we were listening to the radio and the traffic report said there was a huge accident involving a semi and all 3 east bound lanes were shut down. As we were approaching the accident, we got detoured off onto an exit leading to East Canyon. That road lead to I-84, which would put us back on I-80 and let us get to our campground. We took it. It was rainy and we could only go 25mph cause of the semis in front of us. None the less we got there about an hour after we though we would have got there. Oh and upon getting to the campground, there was a clear sky over our destination, no setting up in the rain!


Here is a photo from the news of the accident.
Apparently the 2 trailer semi was heading west coming down a hill, lost control and went into the east bound lanes all the way over to the other side of the road and up this hill. The semi cached into a car at full speed killing that driver instantly and i think 1 or 2 more other cars were involved but no injuries and their cars just had a few dents. When we were driving home, we saw the tracks from this truck on this hill and there were no skid marks in the west bound lanes. Anyways, crazy!

So we arrived at our camp spot got everything setup and ate dinner that I had precooked (chicken bits, mac&cheese and broccoli). It rained ALL NIGHT! Hard to sleep. I got up to go to the restroom in the morning and unzipping the tent felt weird. A few seconds later, snow fell off (so I took a picture).





Nick was photographing

Nick reading

Then he wanted to adjust the tension on the tent. The wind was crazy!

Lunch time! The sandwiches were SO GOOD!

Home away from home.

We hung the tarp to block the wind. Huge difference.

For dinner we had sloppy joe's. Nick was in charge of cooking with the gas stove. I just don't want to blow anything up. 


After dinner I went down to the lake.

Timers on cameras are nice to have.


Kinda like an ocean.


There were so many boats and fishermen on the lake. I heard trout was biting.

Expert fire designer.

Works every time.

I oftenly found myself sitting in the car. It was so warm and the wind couldn't get to me.

Chillaxing. Emphasis on the chill part

My chair is so comfortable




I saw the moon out and remembered I had my cool binoculars that Nick got for me. We held them up to my camera and took some pictures. It took both of us to make this shot.


At the end of the day.


 Our neighbors were very nice and offered us some warmth in their trailer. We never needed it, though I wanted it. They would ask us how we were doing in the mornings coming out of the tent. All in all it was a fun weekend. It felt like we embarked upon adventure battling the rain, wind, snow and sun.