Monday, August 23, 2010

My Birthday

Last Sunday was my birthday. I am another year older and why its starting to matter so much, I have no idea. I mean, it's just a number that that says how long you have been on this world. I think it is just difficult to get older when you compare yourself to others. I am in a different place in my life than most of my family and friends were/are at this particular age and I just need to stop wishing I had something else and make the most with what I've got now cause, what I will get, when it's time, will be perfect. With that said, I wanted to be at the beach for my birthday.... and it happened!

I got to be in fabulous South Carolina with my wonderful Nick at my cherished family's house. After a nice sleep in, Nick and I met up with Papa & Mema at their regular go to after church brunch restaurant. We had some good food and a very nice visit for a few hours talking about my Dad and his siblings. We then went on our way to Hilton Head Island and the rain came down.



It poured and poured. It was the most rain I have ever driven in. All I could see was the glare of the lights. We were heading to a particular beach, but missed he sign cause it was raining so hard. The wipers were on super sonic speed, but it didn't seem to even matter that they were on. Driving past our turn, we made it to another beach and by this time, the rain just stopped. We got out of the car and saw he ocean! I went to take a picture, but my lens fogged up.



So I took a video instead.

Everyone was leaving cause lightening and thunder was brewing so Nick and I went into a few stores before heading to the Sea Pines part of the island to go up into the lighthouse... to which on that drive the rain came down just as hard as before. We made it to the lighthouse and began our journey up the 118 (I think) stairs.







Once getting to the top, we had specular views. Here is Nick overlooking the famous golf course.



And here is the harbor area.



Our reflection shows how we looked walking around under the small umbrella while snapping pics. About this time, we called our families to have them look at us online via the lighthouse web camera. My parents saw us... no one else did cause they weren't home or didn't answer their phones.



Here's the dock.



And back into the lighthouse and down all the stairs.



We went to eat at the cafe/restaurant place. I was craving a hamburger but it wasn't on the menu. I asked the waiter if they were serving hamburgers at all and he said that it was on the kid's menu and whispered to me that he would get one for me. That burger was no kid size burger, it was huge! I couldn't finish it, but it was so good! We slightly walked off our dinners by heading to the pier.



Since the rain was still at a stop, I hadn't had enough beach so we headed to the nearest one, still in Sea Pines. It was pretty empty, but the water was bath water warm. It was amazing. I tried to not get my skirt too wet, but it was my birthday and it didn't matter.









It was getting dark and I had forgotten that cake was waiting back at the house. We drove the 10ish miles back with the windows down, sun roof open and the music loud. The air was cool and moist with a few sprinkles, it was so nice.

When we got to the house, the candles were put in the cake. Mema was singing happy birthday to Sheila which stopped the song and had to start all over. Leigh made the cake, it was a mandarin orange kind of cake that didn't turn out great according to her standards, but was just fine for the rest of us. It was a good birthday.



Nick thought it would be funny...